6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where we are?
The employment rate for women was 33.7% in 2011, while in the same period the unemployment rate was 20.0%. The changes in the indicators for the Target #1 are negligible and therefore very worrying, since both indicators show that the current trend is such that we cannot expect the employment rate for women to achieve the targeted 50% by 2015. We also cannot expect the unemployment rate for women to achieve 9%. One of the reasons for the current situation is the economic crisis that has a negative effect on the economic trends in Montenegro. However, it is realistic to expect that the current situation will improve in comparison to 2011.
Recommendations for overcoming the obstacles in the implementation of this Goal:
- In order to increase the share of women in the decision-making positions it is necessary to do the revision of the provision in the amendments to the Law on the Election of Councillors and Members of Parliament, which guarantees at least 30% of underrepresented gender in the list of candidates. In order to achieve the desired increase of the share of women, every third candidate on the list should be a person of underrepresented gender, and the seats have to be allocated according to the order of the candidates on the list. This is in line with the recommendations of the UN Committee for the elimination of discrimination against women.
- As for the economic empowerment of women, Montenegro still has to work on encouraging female entrepreneurship (which is envisaged within the EU IPA programme), on their education in various fields and on the activities aimed at better employability of women, particularly in the rural areas.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament