Second National Communication on Climate Change
This project aims to enable Montenegro to prepare, produce and disseminate its Second National Communication (SNC) to the Conference of the Parties (COP) of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). The SNC will update and strengthen information provided regarding national circumstances, greenhouse gas inventories, climate change mitigation, vulnerability to climate change and steps taken to adapt to climate change, and information on public awareness, education, training, systematic research and observation, and technology transfer. The project will also increase the capacity to produce subsequent national communications that meet COP guidelines and inform policies in Montenegro.
What is the project about?
The project “Enabling activities for the preparation of Montenegro’s Second National Communication (SNC) to the UNFCCC” aims to help Montenegro to prepare, produce and disseminate its SNC, while focusing on two main goals:
Goal 1: Green House Gas inventory. The first goal is to update the GHG inventory with the addition of several gases and sectors not covered in the Initial National Communication (INC), through the development of a comprehensive measurement plan for collecting and analyzing data for the SNC and subsequent communications. This includes increasing institutional capacity to calculate the inventory and to address data gaps, which were a significant source of uncertainty in the INC.
Goal 2: Mitigation measures. The second goal is to update the Chapter on measures to mitigate climate change in Montenegro that will model potential emission trajectories through 2020 and will incorporate findings on economic development and specific measures and projects with mitigation benefits.
Goal 3: Vulnerability assessment and adaptation measures. Within this goal, the Project will make an assessment of climate changes in Montenegro and country’s vulnerability to climate change through strengthening the modeling efforts and efforts to describe vulnerability to climate change, particularly in four priority areas (water resources, agriculture/drought, human health, coastal zone management, tourism and protected areas).
Goal 4: Updated information on other areas. The fourth set of activities will be aimed at the Chapter on national circumstances that incorporates new socioeconomic data and strengthened relationships with statistical agencies and Ministries that will support improved data flow in future, including collection and compilation of updated information in other areas as requested by the COP: education, training, public awareness, technology transfer, capacity needs, and research and systematic observation.
What have we accomplished so far?
- Prepared a Study on Assessing Montenegro’s potentials to shift towards the Green Economy: sectoral studies – energy (transport and buildings) and tourism, which were presented as technical part of the national platform at the Rio+ Summit in Rio De Janeiro in June 2012;
- Established a national bio-prognosis system, in cooperation with the Hydro-meteorological Institute and the Institute for Health, indicating impact of changing meteorological situation to human health and wellbeing due to climate change;
- Capacities of the Envitonmental Protection Agency of Montenegro strengthened and updating national GHG inventory 1990 – 2011 conducted;
- Mitigation measures with data disaggregated by sector, with adequate scenarios, cost-benefit analysis and prioritization developed;
- Vulnerability assessments with adaptation measures and options developed;
- National Circumstances section developed and first draft of Second National Communication report is prepared.
Who finances it?
Delivery in previous fiscal years
|December 2014||USD 105,595
|December 2013||USD 225,231|
- Project Start Date:
- June 2011
- Estimated End Date:
- March 2015
- Geographic Coverage:
- Nationwide, Montenegro
- Focus Area:
- Economy and Environment
- Project Officer:
- Ms. Snežana Marstijepović
email@example.com Tel. +382 20 22 30 38
- Ministry of Sustainable Development and Tourism of Montenegro