Development and upgrade of the national Integrated Health Information System (IHIS) is of crucial importance for further advancement of the overall health-care system. Improving the IT infrastructure of the entire health system will contribute to the quality of health services, but also to evidence-based and timely strategic decision making. The existing information system is incomplete, fragmented and insufficiently interoperable, and consequently unable to provide reliable information for efficient management of the health system. In partnership with the Ministry of Health, UNDP will assist the country to overcome these challenges.
In order to reach adequate decision on further development of the NIHIS, the goals of the project are to:
- conduct a comprehensive analysis which will, among others:
- identify the new e-Architecture,
- including the functional analysis of the existing information systems,
- and the ways for the existing systems to be integrated with the proposed new solutions,
- and accordingly, to set up a comprehensive Integrated Health Information System (IHIS), to achieve full improvement of the IT infrastructure in the health sector and facilitate centralized and timely management and use of reliable data for strategic decision-making.
Ø Implementation of the comprehensive analysis, which would include analysis of the situation of the existing information systems, i.e. mapping of the existing systems, business processes and data flows.
Ø Use the results and recommendations of the comprehensive analysis as the basis to define the e-Architecture of IHIS.
Ø Propose the institutional - organizational solutions and needed upgrading of the relevant legislation, that would ensure long-term sustainability of the system.
Ø Support to development of the key planning documents, which include proposals for the new e-Architecture of the system.
Ø Creation of institutional and organizational framework to make IHIS sustainable.
Ø Definition of EHR (Electronic Health Record) and adoption of data exchange standards.
Ø Development and implementation of the central information system for data exchange and control of business processes.
Ø Development and implementation of the information system at Clinical Centre of Montenegro.
Ø Optimisation and upgrade of hardware and software infrastructure.
Ø Capacity building (including continuous training, BI, analytics).
· The comprehensive study completed. Based on the comprehensive study, national health sector e-Architecture defined.
· Action plan for the implementation of e-Architecture adopted, including the recommendations issued in relation to the legal and institutional-organizational solutions.
· Key documents that can serve as the framework for the implementation of the Action plan and further development of IHIS prepared.
· Institutional and organizational solutions and system informatization standards have been approved and implemented.
· Informatisation of the healthcare system has been completed and comprehensive Integrated Health Information System (IHIS), which includes informatization of Clinical Centre of Montenegro and development of the Electronic Health Record (EHR), has been implemented.
· Necessary renewal of hardware and computer infrastructure has been completed.
· Support to Ministry of Health to strengthen internal capacities and transfer knowledge to ensure IHIS sustainability has been provided.