Accession to the European Union is the strategic priority of the Government of Montenegro, and it is very important to inform citizens about the benefits, commitments and responsibilities arising from membership. To lend weight to this goal, the Government of Montenegro has adopted the Strategy for Informing the Public about Montenegro's Accession to the European Union 2014-2018. This project “Communicating EU accession and IPA Assistance in Montenegro II” aims to support the implementation of this Strategy and the development of a new one for the upcoming period.
The general objective of this action is to contribute to a better understanding of the European integration process among the citizens of Montenegro and to ensure their support to the accession process.
Specific objectives are:
1. To ensure a successful delivery of the Communication Action Plans 2017-2018 by the national EU coordinating body with a view to improving public perception and understanding of the EU integration process, EU financial assistance and to strengthen trust in the EU.
2. To strengthen the capacities of governmental PR departments, local municipalities and other stakeholders including the media and the civil society through an intensive training programme in order to achieve synchronised, coordinated and effective internal and external communication regarding the EU accession process.
The project will support the implementation of the Strategy for Informing the Public about the European Union and Membership Preparations 2014-2018 of the Government of Montenegro, development of the Communication Strategy for the period 2019-2022 and promotion of EU assistance. It will complement the activities undertaken by the Government, EU Delegation, NGOs and the Parliament in promoting EU values and communicating accession and EU assistance in Montenegro, thus explaining benefits but also expectations coming out from each of the negotiation chapters in the process of EU integration.
This project will continue to develop a team of highly professional, efficient and confident communications professionals within the Montenegrin government, who will be able to communicate the EU accession process in a more coherent, consistent and effective manner. In addition, the processes of internal and external communication on EU accession will be improved.
Improved understanding, trust and support among citizens regarding:
- values of the EU,
- fundamental rights and policies of the EU,
- EU institutions and their functions,
- accession process and reforms regarding Montenegro’s EU integration,
- EU assistance to Montenegro, and
- benefits and results of EU membership.
Enhanced capacities and skills among government institutions, local self-governments, journalists and other actors involved in communicating the EU accession process and preparation among citizens for membership.