In Western Balkans, the collaboration between local governments and civil society organisations is insufficiently developed and lacking transparency in financing of CSOs. ReLOaD will improve cooperation between local governments and CSOs, while strengthening capacities of all relevant stakeholders to engage more productively in such partnerships. The project will introduce and improve transparent, development-oriented and project-based approach to funding of CSOs by local government budgets that contributes to realization of local priorities in line with development strategies.
ReLOaD is financed by the European Union (EU) and implemented by UNDP. As a regional initiative, ReLOaD is implemented in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of North Macedonia, Kosovo*, Montenegro and Serbia. In Montenegro, project is implemented in partnership with 5 local self-governments – Pljevlja, Niksic, Podgorica, Kotor and Tivat.
Overall objective of the project is to strengthen participatory democracies and the EU integration process in the Western Balkans by empowering civil society to actively take part in decision making and by stimulating an enabling legal and financial environment for civil society.
ReLOaD will improve cooperation between local governments and CSO, through strengthening capacities of all relevant stakeholders to engage more productively in such partnerships. The Project aims to introduce and sustain a transparent, development-oriented and project-based approach to funding of CSOs by local government budgets that contributes to realization of local priorities in line with development strategies.
The project activities include:
· assessment of existing mechanisms for disbursement of public funds to CSOs in selected local governments (in Montenegro, those are: Pljevlja, Niksic, Podgorica, Kotor and Tivat);
· testing and adopting the project methodology for disbursement of public funds to CSOs;
· building capacities of local governments staff for project cycle management, monitoring and transparent disbursement of public funds to CSOs;
· implementing grant schemes for CSOs in each target local government;
· capacity development of CSOs in project cycle management;
· monitoring of granted CSO projects implementation through combined monitoring teams;
· promotion of the methodology for disbursement of public funds to CSOs and its tools, as well as successful practice in each participating WB country.
Expected results: (100-150 words)
ReLOaD will achieve the following results in 5 local governments in Montenegro:
· Improved procedures for transparent allocation of public funds to CSOs;
· Services delivered by CSOs address the needs of local communities within partner local governments;
· Strengthened capacity of local governments and CSOs in implementation of grant schemes and delivering of good quality projects,
· Enhanced regional networking and dialogue of civil society and local governments across the Western Balkans.
Project web page
Project Facebook page
*For the European Union, all references to Kosovo should be understood in full compliance with Resolution 1244 (1999) and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence. For the United Nations, references to Kosovo shall be understood to be in the context of Security Council resolution 1244 (1999).